Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Preparation for the Trip to Africa



This trip was organized by two well traveled mussel biologists from Philadelphia, PA (Dan) and Champagne-Urbana, IL (Kevin). The original idea was to sample, collect, and describe species of freshwater mussels from tributaries of the Zambezi and Congo Rivers that drain out of Zambia. Luckily due to some nice folks at NSF and TCNJ I can also participate. We will be there for the dry season to sample during low water conditions, and we will be in country for about three weeks. There are four other biologists involved in the trip including myself. This will be my second trip across the ocean, and my first trip to Africa.

There is much to learn in the next few days and even more to pack. I have an amorphous collection of camping gear, clothes, shoes, and books to get together, not to mention all the little items that I always forget. Luck for me there is a good packing list, and many suggestions online.

About 10 days till departure and man are my shoulders sore! Too many shots in too little time. I took the advice of my travel companions and got the Yellow Fever and Meningitis shots (thanks all!). All is well, but ibuprofen is involved. That makes a total of eight shots in the past few months!

No comments: